RULES & REGULATIONS 2018
L’Eroica is a non-competitive leisure cycling event (also defined as event or incorrectly competition or race). This is a commemorative historical race that passes along various white roads, i.e. non-asphalt roads. Participation in L’Eroica is dedicated to cyclists wearing vintage or historically inspired cycling gear, On “Bici Eroiche” or Vintage-Style Bikes, as described in Art. 5 of these rules and on the www.eroicagaiole.it and www.eroica.cc websites in the INSPIRATION section.
ART. 1 – DATE and PLACE
The event will take place on SUNDAY 7 OCTOBER 2018 in GAIOLE in CHIANTI, Siena, Italia
ART. 2 – ROUTES and START
L’Eroica offers 5 different routes:
- Long 209 km, a medical certificate for the practice of competitive cycling is required;
- Medium Crete Senesi 130 km, a medical certificate for the practice of competitive cycling is required;
- Short 78 km, a medical certificate for the practice of competitive cycling is required;
- Mini-Chianti 46 km, a medical certificate for the practice of competitive cycling is required.
- Leisure ride 32 km, a medical certificate for the practice of NON-competitive cycling is sufficient.
Each participant may choose the route that is most suited to him/her and the choice must be indicated when registering. However, it is possible for those who have chosen the 209 km, 130 km, 78 km and 46 km routes to modify their choice up until the start of the race, without any penalty. Those who have chosen the 32 km ride may not change route. This faculty may be curtailed or modified by the organisation for technical and/or safety reasons.
Participants between 15 and 18 years of age will only be permitted to enter the 32 km, 46 km and 78 km routes. Over-65s will be permitted to enter the 32 km, 46km, 78 km and 130 km routes.
Please be advised that those born before 31/12/53 are considered over-65, even if they have not celebrated their birthday by the day of the event because they were born in October, November or December 1953.
Routes will be signposted but each rider is expected to use the "Road Book" and "Eroica map". The maps and GPS routes may be consulted and downloaded from the Routes page on the www.eroicagaiole.it website.
Starting times will be as follows:
- 209 km and 135 km routes start between 05:00 and 07:00;
- 78 km and 46 km rides start between 08:00 and 09:30;
- 32 km rides start between 09:00 and 09:30;
Those starting before 06:30 must have front and rear lights fitted on their bicycles, according to the Italian Rules of the Road (Codice della Strada).
ART. 3 – PARTICIPATION AND MEDICAL CERTIFICATE
L’Eroica is open to anybody of either sex who is over 15 years of age.
In 2018, according to Italian law, all cyclists must be members of a recognised club, following these procedures:
- To participate in L’Eroica, ITALIAN cyclists who do not have a 2018 club membership issued by the Italian Cycling Federation (F.C.I.) or other Promotional Bodies (A.C.S.I., U.I.S.P., C.S.A.IN), must obtain “A.C.S.I. membership” (cost €10.00) which includes daily insurance cover for the events organised in Italy by Eroica Italia S.S.D. a r.l.;
- To participate in L’Eroica, FOREIGN cyclists who do not have a 2018 club membership issued by their national cycling federation and recognised by the International Cycling Union (U.C.I.), must obtain “A.C.S.I. membership” (cost €10.00) which includes daily insurance cover for the events organised in Italy by Eroica Italia S.S.D. a r.l.
Said membership will be valid from the date of payment of the registration fee and will end on 31 December 2018. The membership card will be issued on-line directly by A.C.S.I.
In order to activate the daily insurance cover and participate in L’Eroica, it is OBLIGATORY to send the following VALID MEDICAL CERTIFICATE to the organisers:
- MEDICAL CERTIFICATE for COMPETITIVE CYCLING for those participating in the 209 km, 130km, 78 km and 46 km routes;
- MEDICAL CERTIFICATE for NON-COMPETITIVE CYCLING for those participating in the 32 km ride.
The medical certificate must be valid on the date of the event (it must therefore be issued after 8 October 2017) and must be uploaded on your EROICA PAGE by 10 september 2018. If these conditions are not met, the cyclist will not be considered registered and will also lose the right to be reimbursed.
ART. 4 - REGISTRATION METHODS AND FEE
It is possible to register directly on the www.eroica.cc/travel website, with payment by credit card. Cheques or other forms of payment will not be accepted.
Registration for the XXII edition of L’Eroica has been simplified and streamlined. Each participant must first register in the Eroica system, following which he/she will be able to register for a specific event through the “EROICA PASSPORT” page. Once registered, each user will receive a username and password with which to register for the specific event. The “EROICA PASSPORT” contains a lot of useful information and enables users to register for the other Eroica events around the world.
Registration will open on Friday 19 January 2018 at 15:00 (Rome time) and will remain open until the 7,000 available numbers have been allocated. Numbers will be assigned by the organisation as follows:
- 700 numbers for CICLO CLUB EROICA Members at a cost of €48.00 (until 31 July 2018);
- 500 numbers for TOUR OPERATORS at a cost of €68.00 (until 31 May 2018);
- 3,000 numbers for CLASSIC MEN at €68.00;
- 1,000 numbers for CLASSIC WOMEN at €68.00 (until 31 May 2018);
- 1,000 CHARITY numbers at €100.00 (from 1 February to 30 June 2018);
- 200 SUPER CHARITY numbers at €150.00 (from 1 July 2018);
- 200 COMBINED “DOUBLE N+G” REGISTRATION (Nova Eroica + L’Eroica Gaiole in Chianti) €90.00;
- 200 COMBINED “DOUBLE M+G” REGISTRATION (Eroica Montalcino + L’Eroica Gaiole in Chianti) at €110.00;
- 200 COMBINED “TRIPLE M+N+G” REGISTRATION (Eroica Montalcino + Nova Eroica + L’Eroica Gaiole In Chianti) €130.00.
Payment by bank transfer will only be possible for TOUR OPERATORS, and must be agreed and authorised by the organisation.
Fondazione L’Eroica (the L’Eroica Foundation), a non-profit organisation chosen by the management, will receive the following for each charity registration:
- €10.00 for each CHARITY number;
- €30.00 for each SUPER-CHARITY number.
The organisation reminds participants that EROICA TRAVEL provides PACKAGES that include registration to L’Eroica, as well as accommodation (for 2 or more nights), logistic support and cultural and food and wine offers for non-cyclists.
The registration fee, irrespective of the amount paid, includes:
- RACE PACK with event gifts and souvenirs;
- RACE NUMBER to be attached to your jersey and bicycle;
- ROAD BOOK which will be stamped at the checkpoints and the details of the routes;
- FOOD STOPS in varying numbers according to the length of the route chosen;
- EROICA’S MEDAL;
- PASTA PARTY at the end of the event;
- SHOWERS at the finish line.
The L’Eroica Organisation may, incontestably, at any time, decide whether or not to accept a registration, without obligation to provide further explanation.
ART. 5 – CRITERIA REGARDNG BICYCLES AND CLOTHING
L’Eroica is an event for road-racing bicycles and is dedicated to cyclists wearing vintage or historically inspired clothing, riding “BICI EROICHE”/VINTAGE or VINTAGE-STYLE MODERN BIKES. Lycra clothing may not be worn.
During the event, cyclists who are not properly registered will not be permitted to participate and risk being removed. In case of accident, they will be held responsible for any damages caused.
5.1 - BICYCLES
At L’Eroica, only the following kinds of bikes are admitted:
- vintage road-racing bikes, or so-called BICI EROICHE, as described in paragraph 5.1.a;
- historically inspired or VINTAGE-STYLE BIKES, including recently built bikes, as described in the below paragraph 5.1.b.
Only those bicycles described in paragraphs 5.1.a / 5.1.b will be admitted.
5.1.a – Bici Eroiche or vintage bikes
BICI EROICHE are all road-racing bikes built up to and including 1987, both with and without gears, such as those built in the late 19th or early 20th centuries. These bicycles most likely have a steel frame or an Alan type aluminium frame.
Regarding components, bicycles should adhere to the following general guidelines:
- More recent bikes with gears and derailleurs must have shift levers on the down tube of the frame; exceptions include pre-1980 non indexed bar-end gear shifters;
- Pedals must have toe clips and straps or original pedals for older bikes; quick release, clip-less pedals are not allowed;
- Brake cables must pass outside and over the handlebars (cables can pass inside the frame);
- Wheels must have at least 32 spokes laced to a low profile rim (20 mm depth or less); rims must be of either steel, aluminium or wood;
- Both tubular tyres and clinchers with inner tubes are allowed;
- We invite participants to fit saddles from the same period as the bicycles, so a model of 1987 or earlier; alternatively we suggest fitting a vintage model of modern production;
- Change of the gear ratios is allowed due to the difficulty of the ride.
Early 20th century bicycles without gears do not need to comply with the above criteria as long as they have their original components.
5.1.b – Vintage-style or modern built bicycle
Vintage-style, steel framed bikes of new or recent construction with vintage look and characteristics may be used only if they are road-racing bikes assembled using vintage components or replicated parts similar to the originals, as described above.
5.1.c - Waivers and exemptions
On request, exceptions regarding the type of bicycle may be granted to participants with disabilities.
For the 32 km and 46 km route, other types of vintage bicycles will be admitted, such as postman’s bikes, general working bicycles, leisure bicycles, etc.
Mountain bikes are excluded from all routes.
Any registered cyclist who arrives at the starting line or is found on the route with a bicycle that does not conform to the rules and regulations of the event will be disqualified.
5.2 – CLOTHING
Participants are strongly encouraged to wear vintage or vintage-style cycling gear, such as wool jerseys and shorts and to avoid wearing modern technical gear in a visible way. The management reserves the right to disqualify any participant whose behaviour is considered inappropriate. Should photographic proof of irregular behaviour come available after the event, the organisation reserves the right to exclude those responsible from the 2019 edition of the event.
5.3 - Accessories
With regard to the vintage spirit of the event, participants are invited to carefully select all their accessories, from shoes to caps and water bottles etc. The only modern cycling accessory allowed is a safety cycling helmet, which we invite everybody to use.
ART. 6 - RESPECT THE RULES OF THE ROAD
L’Eroica is a CYCLING EXCURSION on asphalt and white roads; the whole route will be open to traffic for the entire duration of the event, and it is therefore obligatory that all participants respect the Rules of the Road. It is also mandatory to carry a repair kit for punctures and breakdowns.
ART. 7 – VALIDITY OF REGISTRATION
Registration can be considered valid only when the electronic registration procedure has been completed, the corresponding amount has been credited to the organisation, the medical certificate or documentation relating to membership of a recognised sport’s club has been received and all of the above has been confirmed by the Organisation.
ART. 8 - SUBSTITUTIONS OR CANCELLATIONS
It is possible to request the substitution of a participant by 10 September 2018, if registration is in order. An administration fee of €10.00 will be charged for this service.
If a registered cyclist is unable to participate in L’Eroica, the registration fee will not be reimbursed and the race pack will not be sent.
It is possible to cancel your registration by contacting email@example.com by 10 September 2018.
The organisation reserves the incontestable right to judge whether cancellations are the result of “an objective impossibility to participate because of injury”, documented by a medical report. In cases recognised by the organisation, the registration fee will be considered valid for the 2019 edition.
Any registration considered valid for the following year is strictly personal and cannot be transferred to a third party. It will only be valid for the year following the year of cancellation. Should the cyclist fail to participate again, the registration fee will be forfeited.
ART. 9 – COLLECTION OF RACE NUMBER with I.D.
In Gaiole in Chianti, RACE PACKS and NUMBERS will be distributed before the event, at the following times:
- Friday 5 October 2018, from 09:00 to 19:00;
- Saturday 6 October 2018, from 09:00 to 19:00;
- Sunday 7 October 2018, from 04:30 to 09:00.
In order to pick up your RACE PACK, it is mandatory to present:
- A printout of the “EROICA PASSPORT” page;
- Membership card for a competitive sport’s club or a medical certificate, according to art. 3 of the current regulations;
- A valid form of I.D.
It will be possible to delegate a friend or trusted person to collect the “RACE PACK” by providing the following:
- An original printout of the “EROICA PASSPORT” page, with the PROXY section filled out and signed;
- Copy of the I.D. of the delegating party;
- Copy of the competitive sport’s club membership card or original medical certificate of the delegating party, according to art. 3 of the current regulations;
- Valid I.D. of the delegated party.
ART. 10 – TIME LIMITS, ROUTE CLOSURE and ASSISTANCE
The time limit within which the routes must be completed has been set at 21:30.
In Il Molino (Buonconvento), from 12:00, cyclists will be redirected onto the 130 km route.
In Castelnuovo Berardenga, from 18:00, cyclists will be redirected towards Brolio and Gaiole in Chianti along asphalt roads.
No type of medical assistance will be provided, apart from S.O.S. for medical emergencies, by calling the emergency number +39 339/1129980. Mechanical assistance is not foreseen. Assistance by private vehicles following the event is not permitted.
ART. 11 - FOOD STOPS, CHECKPOINTS AND FINISH OF ROUTES
There are OFFICIAL FOOD STOP (indicated by Æ on the EROICA MAP), providing water, wine, sweet and savoury food in authentic L’Eroica style;
All types of food stop are free of charge.
Opening and Closing of food stops and checkpoints, with obligatory change of route:
- GAIOLE IN CHIANTI - CHECKPOINT – open from 05:00 to 9:30;
- MADONNA A BROLIO - km 9,6 - FOOD STOP and CHECKPOINT – open from 08:15 to 11:00;
- DIEVOLE - km 31,3 – FOOD STOP, CHECKPOINT and TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE – open from 09:30 to 13:00;
- RADI - km 48,6 – FOOD STOP and TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE – open from 06:45 to 11:00;
- MURLO – km 56,4 – CHECKPOINT – open from 07:10 to 11:30
- IL MOLINO (BUONCONVENTO) – km 66,4 - obligatory detour from 12:00;
- MONTALCINO - km 87,6 – FOOD STOP, CHECKPOINT and TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE – open from 08:15 to 13:45;
- LUCIGNANO D’ASSO - km 112,1 on long route – CHECKPOINT – open from 09:15 to 15:30;
- BUONCONVENTO - km 68 and km 125,5 – FOOD STOP, CHECKPOINT and TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE – open from 07:30 to 16:00;
- ASCIANO - km 89 and km 146,2 – FOOD STOP, CHECKPOINT and TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE – open from 08:30 to 17:30;
- CASTELNUOVO BERARDENGA - km 108,2 and 165,1 – FOOD STOP, CHECKPOINT and TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE – open from 9:15 to 19:00;
- CASTELNUOVO BERARDENGA – km 165,2 - obligatory detour from 18:00;
- RADDA - km 42,1 – FOOD STOP, CHECKPOINT and TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE – open from 09:30 to 14:00;
- RADDA - km 200 – CHECKPOINT – from 13:00 to 20:45;
- LAMOLE – VOLPAIA - km 58,9 – FOOD STOP, CHECKPOINT and TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE – open from 10:30 to 15:45;
- MADONNA A BROLIO - km 120 - CHECKPOINT – open from 09:45 to 20:00;
- GAIOLE IN CHIANTI – RACE FINISH CHECKPOINT open from 10:15 to 21:30.
Details relating to food stops and checkpoints will be published on the www.eroicagaiole.it website. Other random checks may be carried out.
ART. 12 – CHECKPOINT STAMPS
Checkpoint stamps are the only proof of the route undertaken. The Road Book will be stamped at the start, along the route and at the finish line. There is just one Road Book for all routes.
ART. 13 - PRIZES
Participants who complete L’Eroica will receive a prize at the finish, based on the route undertaken. To claim prizes, cyclists must present themselves with their bikes and completed Road Book at the finish line.
ART. 14 - COMPLAINTS
Any complaints must reach the organisation by email firstname.lastname@example.org within 10 days of the publication of the list of finishers.
ART. 15 - INFORMATION
The event is organised by Eroica Italia SSD, Via Giacomo Matteotti, 13 - 53024 Montalcino (Siena), under the aegis of A.C.S.I. (Association of Italian Sport’s Centres), a sport’s promotion body recognised by CONI (the Italian National Olympic Committee).
For information in Italian: Franco Gatterelli +39 334.9380512, e-mail email@example.com
Franco Rossi +39 335.7410551, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For information in English: Barbara Bertoni +39 393.9706591, e-mail email@example.com
ART. 16 – CANCELLATION OF THE EVENT
If, for reasons of force majeure, the event does not take place, the registration fee will not be reimbursed but will be considered valid for the following edition.
ART. 17 - VARIATIONS
The Organisation reserves the right to make changes to the regulations at any time. The www.eroicagaiole.it website is the only official source of information regarding the event. Therefore, all official communications will be made exclusively through this website.
ART. 18 - DISQUALIFICATION
Participants who have been disqualified by their federations or clubs for doping or for any other reason will not be permitted to enter.
Disqualification lasting 2 years will apply in the following cases:
- Unauthorised deviations from the route;
- Abusive or offensive behaviour towards members of the organisation;
- Lack of respect for the environment, such as littering in non-designated areas, outside food stops and checkpoints.
In serious cases, such as participating with another rider’s RACE NUMBER and unauthorised transfer of one’s registration, disqualification may be for life, subject to the incontestable judgement of the organisers.
We appeal to the civic duty of all participants to keep the routes and locality clean.
ART. 19 - APPROVAL, CONSENT, AUTHORISATION, ETC.
When requesting to participate in L’Eroica by any of the methods provided for by the current regulations, each participant, from the moment of registration:
- declares that he/she has read and accepted the current Regulations in every part;
- guarantees his/her own behaviour during and after the event;
- declares that he/she is physically fit and that he/she has delivered a valid medical certificate to the organisation, having undergone a medical examination for the practice of competitive or leisure cycling, thus giving the organisation the utmost leverage in the event of any damages resulting from his/her participation in the event;
- expresses consent to the use of his/her personal information, including for commercial use, as provided for under privacy law no. 196 dated 30/06/2003;
- gives the organisers the most sample consent to use, according to the law, including for profit, any video or photographic images taken during the days of the event, giving the organisation the right to transfer such images to third parties.
Said authorisation, regarding the use of one’s own image, is to be considered permanent and without any territorial limits anywhere in the world. Images may be used in various publications and filmed material, including but not limited to promotional and/or advertising material produced on any medium. The organisation may, furthermore, transfer to third parties and to its own institutional and commercial partners, the usage rights covered by this agreement.
The organisation declines any responsibility, either direct or on the part of its collaborators, for any accident or damage to people or property, that may arise before, during and after the event or as a result of the same.
ART. 20 - PROCESSING AND REGISTRATION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
The processing and registration of personal information will be carried out by the following two companies:
EROICA ITALIA SSD a R.L.
Via G. Matteotti 13
53024 Montalcino, Siena, Italia
Via Casabianca 25
53013 Gaiole in Chianti, Siena, Italia
The personal information of all participants will be processed and registered according to the terms of privacy law no. 196 dated 30/06/2003.
@ L’Eroica 2014 | VAT Code IT01357870524
Website designed by 93ft.com and developed by Alias